Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Happy CNY fellow readers

(by Sarah Ong, CNY-ey enough)

As Chinese New Year is just around the corner, I just want to wish my fellow readers a very HAPPY CHINESE NEW YEAR. At this time of the year, all the children will be very happy collecting Ang Paus (Red Packets) while the parents are "out of their will" distributing them.

As I am "NOT MARRIED" and STILL YOUNG, I am the happier party. Going from one house to another, just collecting Red packets. Few weeks ago, Abby was asking me whether its the "year of the fish". I stared at her blankly, "What? Fish? Where got such thing as "year of the fish"?"

HER quick reply, "Don't have meh? Why everyone always say "Nian Nian You Yu"?" Still staring at her thinking whether she's pretending to be STOOPID or is she REALLY stupid. "Noooo, its the year of the Rat!"

"Ohhhhhhh! Really? " Then I confirmed that she is REALLY stupid, no joke!

Chinese Traditions, serve your parents some tea on the first day of CNY and you'll get a BIG ANG PAU! Big in the sense of the amount and not the size. Duh!

I want to end my CNY post with a.... A typical Chinese mother's reply to this statement, "WAH, Your kid so clever get so many A's"


Typical Chinese mother- NOLA simply study one (direct translation from Mandarin "Mei you la, luan luan tu de") HAHA Seriously is it that hard to compliment your own child? I DON'T THINK SO. SO, new generation Chinese parents remember to compliment your own child, even if its infront of MANY other people. Don't feel like as if you're showing off because you're not! Its the truth, if your kid do get lots of A's for whatever exams.


Lovelove

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home